Clark/Dixon Architects

National Ornamental Metal Museum

Background

Built in 1883 and located south of downtown Memphis, this historic public health service hospital—the first federally funded healthcare facility in Memphis—consists of three buildings. Nearly 100 years later, in 1980, the hospital was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today, after undergoing major renovations, the site is now home to a residence that houses visiting artists, and a museum and library for the National Ornamental Metal Museum. In 2007, the library, which is also the museum’s meeting facility and event space, was renovated. The project involved stripping the building down to its original elements as it needed numerous repairs, replacements and reconstruction. However, original floors, windows and mouldings were preserved. The library provides local and national projects with technical and design resources as well as a rare and valuable collection on decorative fine arts. Integrating a catering kitchen into the design, the library can maintain a year-round possibility for events, artist receptions and parties.

Project Details

Completed:                  2007

Cost:                            $500,000

(cost does not include volunteer labor)

Click Here to Download PDF